He Formed You and is in Awe of You

13For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
15My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.
17How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.'

Psalms 139:13-18

Fearfully in this verse is actually translated from the Hebrew ary “to inspire awe.”  Who we are right now inspires awe.  As you are, where you sit or stand; in yoga pants and a tee-shirt, or tie and suit are awesome.  God has made you that way from the very start.  It is who you are!  You are made a wonder from the top for your head (hair that's a 'hot mess' or hair all gone) to the bottom of your feet (pedicure or ingrown toenail and calluses). You are awesome.  It's the center of who you are.  You cannot escape it or change it.

In the last century, we learned of deoxyribonucleic acid, made up of four nucleobases (cytosine [C], guanine [G], adenine [A] or thymine [T]).  These four combined to make a unique combination of your DNA.  There are about 3.2 billion nucleotide pairs on all the human chromosomes.  In this century the Human Genome Project produced the first complete sequences of individual human genomes, with the first draft sequence and initial analysis.  All this has continued to make the picture of your uniqueness and awesomeness even more evident!  You are the only you there is.  And the hand of God has formed you.

Beyond the wonderful complexity that is you physically, the intangibles of you are more thrilling.  You with your talents (learned, natural, and spiritual), your spirit/emotions, your mind/soul are beyond the ability of science and measurement to place a label on and decode.  And further, as a believer, you are indwelled by the Holy Spirit.  You are the Temple of God.  No less than the Tabernacle, the First Temple of Solomon, or the Second Temple of Herod.  If you read about these enclosures in the Old Testament with the beautiful embroidery, gold covered walls, sweet-smelling cedar, and the detailed Ark of the Covenant; remember that you are as inspiring and awesome with the direct hand of God involved in you forming.   You are wonderfully made.

Some of us find it difficult to believe this.  You or someone you love has a genetic disease, like Down's Syndrome, Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, or Multiple Sclerosis. We struggle with these diseases.  We ask and don't understand why.  I ask for healing but don't receive the answer I want. We need to consider and pray for eyes to see that in God’s eyes this is part of your beauty and uniqueness for His Kingdom.

Do you accept yourself as awesome to God?

--Zine Smith, Michael Walker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Out of Darkness

Losing My Religion