Gut Check

"He made the one who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us. We plead on Christ’s behalf: “Be reconciled to God.”

"So if you are presenting a sacrifice at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God."
Matthew 5:23-24

I have had several, many, uncountable arguments with my wife.  In almost 23 years, I am ashamed to admit the number and variety of topics of arguments.  Not one of them should have happened.  None of the them were over important topics.  Thankfully (as of this writing) all have been resolved.  We have had reconciliation from the disagreements.  

Reconciliation is not easy.  It is a gut check.  I have had to admit my error, to face my responsibility for injuring the relationship, identify with the pain I have caused my wife, and to ask forgiveness.  That is how reconciliation is done with humans.  The Lord calls us to reconcile to each other.  We are commanded to be reconciled, and to love one another.

I don’t want to admit I’m wrong.  I like my pride.  It feels good, warm, and comfortable.  The, “I’m right and you’re wrong!” feeling is great.  I don’t want to take off that nice, warm, protective coat of disagreement.  But I do for my marriage.  I love my wife more than I love my pride and the protection it provides.  Reconciliation is not about showing how I’m right.  It isn’t about winning.  If I am concerned with winning a disagreement, then the relationship loses.  If the relationship loses then I lose even if I win.

Jesus calls us to place our relationships above ourselves.  If we are sitting in service, Sunday school, or small group and we remember that someone has been offended or hurt by me, I am told to get up from my place, seek out and reconcile to the one I’ve offended or hurt.  He says nothing about who is right and who is wrong.  Jesus says to be reconciled.

God offers us reconciliation.  He has us plead with others to be reconciled to Him.   He then calls us to be reconciled to each other.  Reconciliation with other people comes from reconciliation with God. His work in transforming us changes our perspectives and overflows into all our other relationships.

  1. Who do you need to be reconciled to?
  2. What are you waiting on?

--Zine Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Losing My Religion

Out of Darkness