Why We Must Wait

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.”

I have to confess that I’m a movie and T.V. junkie.  I also don’t like waiting.  Commercials are my bane.  I often use a DVR to watch a show.  But, I’m not alone in my commercial skipping.  Commercials are what ultimately fund the programs that I enjoy.  My impatience, along with others, is causing issues in the entertainment industry that will likely negatively impact production of shows I enjoy.

Jeremiah wrote a letter to the Israelites that had been exiled to Babylon first.  False prophets were telling the people that their exile would not be long.  The Israelites were not putting down roots.  They were not building homes, planting gardens, nor marrying and have children.  They were not planning to wait long for their return to Palestine.  They were praying for what they desired and prophets were telling them what they wanted to hear.  Jeremiah told them a very different story.  They would be in Babylon for 70 years.  I call that a wait.

Jeremiah told them more.  He gave them a message from the LORD that is well known.  He has plans for them that were for their good.  Plans for prosperity.  I am certain the Israelites in Babylon were not thinking that that the LORD was giving them “good” and prosperity.

The 70 years that Israel spent in Babylon was for their good.  When Israel returned to Palestine 70 years later, they never again worshiped any god other than the LORD.  They were committed to the LORD unlike they were before the exile.  Before the exile they chased after whatever Baal came along.  The LORD has purpose in their waiting in exile.  He had plans to prosper them, not to harm them.  He was thinking of their future so they would have hope.

I know my prayers are like those of the Israelites in Babylon.  They prayed to go home now.  I pray to be healed now.  They prayed for what they believed was best and lobbied God for it.  I pray for what I think is best and explain to God why it is best.  I need to learn as I wait to remember what the LORD said to Israel as they waited.  “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Losing My Religion

Out of Darkness