Disciples and Betrayer

“I am not saying these things to all of you; I know the ones I have chosen. But this fulfills the Scripture that says, ‘The one who eats my food has turned against me.’ I tell you this beforehand, so that when it happens you will believe that I AM the Messiah. I tell you the truth, anyone who welcomes my messenger is welcoming me, and anyone who welcomes me is welcoming the Father who sent me.”
Now Jesus was deeply troubled, and he exclaimed,“I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me!” The disciples looked at each other, wondering whom he could mean. The disciple Jesus loved was sitting next to Jesus at the table. Simon Peter motioned to him to ask, “Who’s he talking about?” So that disciple leaned over to Jesus and asked, “Lord, who is it?”
Jesus responded,“It is the one to whom I give the bread I dip in the bowl.”And when he had dipped it, he gave it to Judas, son of Simon Iscariot. When Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus told him,“Hurry and do what you’re going to do.” None of the others at the table knew what Jesus meant.

I didn’t grow up in a large family.  My Dad had two brothers, and 5 cousins.  My Mom was estranged from her family.  “Large” family meals had no more than 15.  Karen’s family is large.  I can’t count the number of people at any holiday gathering.  Even though my extended family is much smaller, the dynamics are far more intimidating.  Her family gets along well.  (Save one uncle.)  My family does not.  Though there is decades of age difference between my oldest and youngest uncle there are miles of difference and conflict.  Fun time.  Fun times.

The disciples were a motley crew.  A Roman tax collector.  A zealot.  Fishermen.  These average men with average flaws had followed Jesus for about three years, spending days and nights together, seeing prophecy fulfilled in front of them, and the religious establishment rock. I’m sure they had formed family like relationships with each other.  The Passover seder was a significant gathering for families of the day.  These men were gathered together as a family.  The diverse group they were.  We know that disagreements were not unusual as we see in scripture.  In this case, one of the 12 was preparing to care out betrayal of Jesus.  Jesus announces this and I am sure the room is rocked.  Conversation came to a halt.  Jesus and Judas could have been the only ones in the room at this point.  John and Peter looked at Judas.  Jesus looked at Judas, and Judas looked at Jesus.  Jesus told His betrayer to leave quick.  The divisions were clear.

We may still have divisions in the church today.  Paul tells the church in Corinth that, “First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.”  These divisions were causing great distress in the church leading to “weak and sick and some have even died.”  (1 Corinthians 11:17-34)  Am I being the betrayer today by causing divisions in the church?  Are you?

  1. Are you harboring anger or bitterness against someone?
  2. Are you encouraging division in the church?
  3. Are you avoiding reconciliation with another in the church?


--Zine Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Losing My Religion

Out of Darkness