Broken Is Beautiful (Part 2)

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

I have been in a broken season lately.  There are no medical crises in my life, just a real working of God in me.  I sincerely desire God to work His beauty in my brokenness.  However, I have trust and control issues.  For me, allowing God to work in my brokenness is hard.  It leaves me weary.  Often, I find myself questioning God with questions like:

"Are you sure God you know what you're doing?"
"God, this doesn't feel good, can you assure me you are using it for good?"
"God, could you write on the wall for me what you are doing in my life?"
"God, could you work quicker?"
"God, can I learn faster?"

In the middle of these seasons, God gently reminds me of His word--Come to me all who are weary, and I will give you rest.

I don't know about you, I don't always want rest, I want writing on the wall, I want answers, I want to know precisely what God is going to do with the broken in my life.  But God says, come I will give you rest.  This word rest in the Greek is anapauo. I read that one of the definitions of this word is a calm expectation.  Lysa Terkurst rephrases this idea like this:  "In other words, Jesus is saying, If you come to Me, I will take your exhaustion and uncertainty and turn it into a calm expectation."

What a beautiful picture!  In our brokenness, we can come to Jesus, and He will take our brokenness, and we can trust Him to give us a calm expectation of the beauty that He is creating.

Philippians 1:6 states, 'And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.'  We know that God has begun working His beauty in our lives and we can have a calm expectation that He will continue turning broken into beauty.

May we not fight God's working in our lives.  May we allow God to heal the pain, to create beauty from ashes, and to arrange the broken places for His purpose.  May we watch God raise.

--Karen Smith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Losing My Religion

Out of Darkness