The Problem

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?"
"Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it."

So, what’s the problem? How did I get to this place of doubt?  I became self-reliant, isolated, and even began to question His very existence as yesterday's devotion covered.  

This is the real problem: I think the problem lies with God, but the actual problem lies with me.  The Problem lies with us and the assumptions that we have projected on to God.  We then allow ourselves to become offended when God doesn’t perform according to our expectations.  We want God to function according to our sense of fairness.  We want God to stop being God. We want  God to do what we say. We want what we want, and we want Him to be what we expect Him to be.  This isn't God!  This is Daddy Warbucks.
By Photographer-Martha Swope, New York (eBay item photo front photo back) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Most of the book of Job written like a courtroom.  Job is the prosecutor and God is the defendant.  Job claims that God has not been just with him.  Beginning in Job 38 God begins His defense.  I find myself like Job trying to prosecute God for the struggle I experience.  That is being way too grown up about it.  I act like a two-year-old, laying on the floor, kicking my legs and pounding with my fists, screaming, "It's not fair!!  I want it my way!!"  I'm not God.  God isn't Dady Warbucks.  God also isn't the defendant, and I have no right to prosecute Him!

I have found that when I am honest with God with my toddler like tantrums, He lets me "get it all out," and He comes beside me and asks me if that makes me feel better.  When I am finished pitching my fit, and I am willing to be comforted and embraced by the perfect Father, He is there.  He loves me and reassures me that I am not alone.  He assures me that I am His, and He is mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Losing My Religion

Out of Darkness