He is “I AM”

Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"
Exodus 3:13

Israel had been in Egypt about 400 years.  Over that many generations, their understanding of their God had been corrupted.  They were unclear on who their God was.  Moses knew this.  His question seems self-evident, but it was essential for Moses to understand and Israel to know.  Moses did not go to the elders of the people and take a survey.  He wanted God to define God.  The people did not specify who God was.

God didn’t respond by saying who do you think I should say that I am or should
be?

The Tetragrammaton in Phoenician(12th century
BCE to 150 BCE), 
Paleo-Hebrew (10th century
BCE to 135 CE), and square 
Hebrew (3rd century
BCE to present) scripts
God said to Moses, "I am who I am." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel: 'I am has sent me to you.'"
Exodus 3:14

The name God gave Moses had not been revealed before this time, and the name of God given isn't a Hebrew word.  There are no vowels.  It is referred to as a Tetragrammaton as can be seen to the left.  Even His name is not entirely understood by man.

The Lord didn’t say I am the god who you want me to be, or who you think I am, or who you perceive me to be and that’s ok as long as you are sincere about it in your heart.  The Lord is who He is.  He is beyond man's understanding.  Even His name is not understandable by man.

The Lord is the Lord.  He does not desire us to have a definition of Him.  He wants us.  He is beyond what we can think, but He wishes to have a relationship with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Out of Darkness

Losing My Religion