Losing My Religion

'My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.'
Galatians 2:20-21
'For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.'
Galatians 5:1


Defining religion is difficult.  I looked at numerous online dictionaries, and even English and language academics have difficulty describing it.  Since they can't agree, so I will provide my definition: religion is a means that men use to earn God's favor; by general action and sacrifice.  If you've got a better definition, I would love to read it.

I went to a beautiful concert of one of my favorite artists on Saturday.  Kirk Franklin.  It was a blast.  After the show, I bought his latest CD, Losing My Religion.  The CD begins with a poem spoken by Franklin.  One line that I love is, "Religion is a prison, but truth sets us free."

Paul writes his first letter to the church in Galatia.  He uses powerful language to the church regarding their turning to religion after receiving the Gospel.  It is regrettable that today, over 1900 years after this letter, we still run to religion rather than faith.  Why?  I think it's because religion makes sense to us.  God being reckless with His love and forgiveness doesn't make sense to us.  Us having to earn His love and mercy does.  We are so wrong.  We are free!

What do you trust in?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Can Use You

Out of Darkness